Monday, November 10, 2008

Sanity Savers

clip_image001

Every morning I wake up to what seems like a list of two million things I think I need to get done before the sun sets. I used to push myself to the limit physically and mentally, but still rarely accomplished everything I had planned, and that left me frustrated and stressed. My solution? I came up with a list of five things to help me get more done without feeling so pressured. Believe it or not, none of them are "work harder" or "go faster."

1. Pray for solutions. When we ask God in prayer for the help He has promised us in His Word, this sets heavenly forces to work on our behalf. So when I begin to feel pressured, I stop and ask Him to work out whatever situation is putting me under stress. This is getting at the root of the problem, not just dealing with the symptom, the stress.

2. Still my spirit. All prayers aren't answered instantaneously, of course, so I also pray for God to still my spirit and help me to trust Him for the outcome. I spend a few moments meditating on God and turning my worries and concerns over to Him. Jesus says, "Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and you will find rest for your souls" (Matthew 11:28-29).

3. Plan and organize. The Bible advises, "Let all things be done decently and in order" (1 Corinthians 14:40). I have found that by planning my day the night before, I can free myself of much of the stress on even the busiest of days. I start with a list of everything I need to do or would like to do, set priorities, and pare down the list to what seems realistic. Then I plan the order in which to do them, including my route and travel times, estimating on the outside to allow for the unexpected. If everything doesn't fit, I cut some more. Having a solid plan sets my mind at ease.

4. Take breaks. Friends who work in offices, banks, schools, and other busy workplaces tell me, "That's impossible! I don't have the time for breaks." But I've found that a break doesn't have to take 30 minutes or an hour to be effective. Five minutes or less will usually do. I drink a glass of water and step outside for a deep breath of fresh air. Or if I can't do that, I look out a window or lean back and close my eyes. Relaxing physically helps to calm my mind. The next hour or two usually go so much better that it's clear those five minutes were a good investment.

5. Stay positive. No matter how carefully I plan my day, there are times when things go wrong or the unexpected happens. Instead of panicking or getting frazzled, I make a conscious effort to look for the good, to focus on possible solutions, not the problem.

So there you have it—five sanity savers that don't require any special genius, just a little discipline and practice.

Do you want a new lease on life?

You can have one, but you have to be willing to let go of the pressures that drive you now.

It’s up to you!

—Andrew Mateyak

No comments: